The iStent inject® Advantage
The iStent inject® is intended to reduce intraocular pressure safely and effectively in patients diagnosed with primary open-angle glaucoma, pseudo-exfoliative glaucoma, or pigmentary glaucoma. Key advantages to using the device include:
Implanted through a single-entry point; iStent inject® is implanted during cataract surgery or as a stand-alone procedure. If implanted during cataract surgery, iStent inject® is implanted through the incision needed for cataract surgery itself.
DESIGNED TO IMPROVE PHYSIOLOGICAL OUTFLOW
Creates a bypass through the primary blockage site (trabecular meshwork).
Clinical studies show iStent inject® is effective when implanted in conjunction with cataract surgery or as a stand-alone procedure in patients who require intraocular pressure reduction1-2
RAPID RECOVERY TIME
Patient recovery time is usually rapid, which allows a return to normal activities.
POSITIVE PATIENT OUTCOMES
Clinical studies show that most patients experience a reduction in IOP and a reduction in reliance on glaucoma medication.3-5
1. Data on File GC-005 and GC-006
2. Hengerer FH, Müller M, Conrad-Hengerer I, Kohnen T. “Personal experience and outcomes through eighteen months following implantation of second generation trabecular micro-bypass stents in patients with open-angle glaucoma”. Presented at the 2016 European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Annual Meeting; September 13-17, 2016; Copenhagen, Denmark
3. Chang, DF. “Intraocular Pressure Reduction and Safety Outcomes After Micro-Invasive Glaucoma Surgery with 2 Trabecular Bypass Stents in OAG”. Presented at the 2013 American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Annual Meeting; April 19-23, 2013; San Francisco, California, USA.
4. Samuelson TW. “Outcomes of MIGS with Trabecular Micro-Bypass Stents and Prostaglandin in Open-Angle Glaucoma Subjects”. Presented at the 2013 American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Annual Meeting; April 19-23, 2013; San Francisco, California, USA.
5. Voskanyan L, García-Feijoó J, Belda J, Fea A, Jünemann A, Baudouin C. “Prospective, Unmasked Evaluation of the iStent inject System for Open-Angle Glaucoma: Synergy Trial”. Adv Ther 2014; 31:189-201.
Mechanism of Action
Delivering two preloaded trabecular micro-bypass stents with a single entry, iStent inject® optimizes the benefits of MIGS. The iStent inject® device improves aqueous outflow through the natural physiological outflow pathway. When the device is implanted in the trabecular meshwork, it stents open that section of the ocular anatomy and allows aqueous humor to flow from the anterior chamber into Schlemm’s canal. A natural episcleral back pressure of 8-11 mm Hg in the trabecular meshwork reduces the risk of hypotony. Increasing outflow through the infranasal quadrants potentially increases the ability to lower IOP due to the high presence of collector channels.
Watch How It Works
The iStent inject® Procedure
iStent inject® is inserted ab interno through a microincision, which may be the phaco incision if performed in conjunction with cataract surgery and can be performed under topical anesthesia.
Tilt the patient’s head ≥35° away from the surgeon and tilt the microscope ≥35° toward the surgeon to obtain proper anterior chamber angle viewing
Adjust the microscope (10-12x) and locate the trabecular meshwork
|Deepen the anterior chamber with a cohesive viscoelastic as needed|
|Enter the eye with the inserter through a clear corneal incision and advance past the pupillary margin|
|Place the trocar through center or slightly anterior portion of the trabecular meshwork and into the back wall of Schlemm’s canal|
|Dimple the tissue enough to see a “V” when pressing on trabecular meshwork|
|Push the trigger button, but keep your finger on the trigger button while pulling back from implanted stent|
|Move 2 to 3 clock hours away and implant the second stent using same technique|
iStent inject® System
iStent inject® System
The iStent inject® system is comprised of two (2) preloaded stents in a single-use, sterile inserter
- iStent inject® stents feature a central inlet and four (4) outlets to optimize flow and collector channel access
- Preloaded inserter is engineered with a cam drive to implant two stents
- The insertion tube of the iStent inject® inserter includes a window to optimize visualization during implantation
- The trocar tip of the inserter easily guides the implants through the trabecular meshwork
• Medical grade titanium
• Heparin coating
• .36 mm in height
• .23 mm in width
Looking for more information on iStent inject®?
We’re here to answer questions and provide any additional information you may need.Contact Us