The iStent inject® Advantage
iStent inject® is intended to reduce intraocular pressure safely and effectively in patients diagnosed with primary open-angle glaucoma, pseudo-exfoliative glaucoma, or pigmentary glaucoma. Key advantages to using the device include:
Implanted through a single-entry point, iStent inject® is implanted during cataract surgery or as a stand-alone procedure. If implanted during cataract surgery, iStent inject® is implanted through the incision needed for cataract surgery itself.
DESIGNED TO IMPROVE PHYSIOLOGICAL OUTFLOW
iStent inject® is designed to create a bypass through the primary blockage site (trabecular meshwork).
iStent inject® is effective when implanted in conjunction with cataract surgery or as a stand-alone procedure in patients who require intraocular pressure reduction1-3.
RAPID RECOVERY TIME
Patient recovery time is usually rapid, which allows a quick return to normal activities.
POSITIVE PATIENT OUTCOMES
Most patients experience a reduction in IOP and a reduction in reliance on glaucoma medication1-3.
1. Chang, DF. Intraocular Pressure Reduction and Safety Outcomes After Micro-Invasive Glaucoma Surgery with 2 Trabecular Bypass Stents in OAG. Presented at the 2013 American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Annual Meeting; April 19-23, 2013; San Francisco, California, USA.
2. Samuelson TW. Outcomes of MIGS with Trabecular Micro-Bypass Stents and Prostaglandin in Open-Angle Glaucoma Subjects. Presented at the 2013 American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Annual Meeting; April 19-23, 2013; San Francisco, California, USA.
3. Voskanyan L, García-Feijoó J, Belda J, Fea A, Jünemann A, Baudouin C. “Prospective, Unmasked Evaluation of the iStent inject System for Open-Angle Glaucoma: Synergy Trial”. Adv Ther 2014; 31:189-201.
Mechanism of Action
Delivering two preloaded trabecular micro-bypass stents with a single entry, iStent inject® is designed to optimise the benefits of MIGS. The iStent inject® device is designed to improve aqueous outflow through the natural physiological outflow pathway. When the device is implanted in the trabecular meshwork, it is designed to stent open that section of the ocular anatomy to allow aqueous humor to flow from the anterior chamber into Schlemm’s canal. A natural episcleral back pressure of 8-11 mm Hg in the trabecular meshwork reduces the risk of hypotony.1
1. Rosenquist R, Epstein D, Melamed S, Johnson M, Grant WM. Outflow resistance of enucleated human eyes at two different perfusion pressures and different extents of trabeculectomy. Curr Eye Res. 1989;8:1233-1240.
Watch How It Works
The iStent inject® Procedure
iStent inject® is inserted ab interno through a microincision, which may be the phaco incision if performed in conjunction with cataract surgery, and can be performed under topical anaesthesia.
Tilt the patient’s head ≥35° away from the surgeon and tilt the microscope ≥35° toward the surgeon to obtain proper anterior chamber angle viewing
Adjust the microscope (10-12x) and locate the trabecular meshwork
|Deepen the anterior chamber with a cohesive viscoelastic as needed|
|Enter the eye with the inserter through a clear corneal incision and advance past the pupillary margin|
|Place the trocar through the centre or slightly anterior portion of the trabecular meshwork and into the back wall of Schlemm’s canal|
|Dimple the tissue enough to see a “V” when pressing on trabecular meshwork|
|Push the trigger button, but keep your finger on the trigger button while pulling back from the implanted stent|
|Move 2 to 3 clock hours away and implant the second stent using the same technique|
iStent inject® System
iStent inject® System
The iStent inject® system is comprised of two (2) preloaded stents in a single-use, sterile inserter
- iStent inject® stents feature a central inlet and four (4) outlets to optimise flow and collector channel access
- Preloaded inserter is engineered with a cam drive to smoothly implant two stents
- The insertion tube of the iStent inject® inserter includes a window to optimise visualisation during implantation
- The trocar tip of the inserter easily guides the implants through the trabecular meshwork
• Medical grade titanium
• Heparin coating
• .36 mm in height
• .23 mm in width
Looking for more information on iStent inject®?
We’re here to answer questions and provide any additional information you may need.Contact Us